Monday, July 18, 2011

Getting Started

If you're interested in undertaking a juice fast, you've likely heard good things from a friend, or recently saw something in the media about this.

Should you do it?

Well, I advise that if you choose to begin a juice fast, you do your homework.

What is my homework, you might ask?

Here are my suggestions.  Please keep in mind that I am NEW to juice fasting, although I do have a background in nutrition.

1.  Watch the movie documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead", or read the book. It is truly entertaining,       inspirational and you will see the process of the fast and followup in action.  It is currently on Netflix streaming, for those who subscribe.  You can also watch it "Instant Streaming" on Amazon.com, for $3.99!

Here's a link to a news article "Fat Sick and Saved by the Juice" which describes the movie, and includes  an interview with Joe Cross, the movie's lead. 

2.  Determine if you have time to dedicate to getting this underway.  It's not difficult to do, but you should plan on incurring lifestyle changes and a couple new expenses, if you do not already own a juicer.

3.  Do some online reading.  The "Reboot Your Life" site has a lot of good information, and lots of recipes.


You Gonna Do It?   Next...

4.  Get a Juicer- My sister is juicing with me, and purchased a Breville Juice Fountain Plus.  I've provided a link on this page.  She purchased hers from Bed Bath and Beyond, using a 20% off coupon, regular price was $150 before any discounting.

I happened to own a Waring Juice Extractor, that I purchased in 2008.  Amazon had a great deal on them, reconditioned at $25, one day only.  I used it to juice overage from my garden, and went through a raw food phase, and juiced frequently. These sell for about $100 new. 

These are both centrifugal juicers.  The Breville is a Centrifugal Ejection juicer, as all of the pulp/waste is ejected into a container.

Masticating juicers are another option.  They require less vegetables, as they are more
efficient at extracting juice from your produce.  They are particularly good at extracting juice from greens.  They are more expensive than centrifugal juicers, however. The Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Commercial Masticating Juicer is an awesome selection, at around $300. 


As much as I would LOVE to have one of these newer models, my currently-owned Waring juicer works like a champ, and it would be foolish to buy something else when mine works so well.  The chute for inputting veggies and fruit is smaller than the Breville, and it doesn't have the convenient ejection feature, but for the price I acquired it, I'm OK with that.

One more thought:  I've heard the Jack LaLanne juicers are excellent, but that inconsistencies with manufacturing results in "lemon" machines more frequently than is acceptable.  While they do have warranties and the like, it is a caveat emptor.  I personally would be discouraged if I bought an unfamiliar, new appliance that malfunctioned, and I had to go through the process of returning.


5.  Pick a start date.  I recommend that if you are working full time, to begin on a Friday or Saturday.  You may feel bad for a 2-3 days, so you may want to plan to take a day off of work, either a Friday or Monday. Or you can suffer through.  At least give yourself 2 full days of home time, as you get this started.

6.  Based upon a few recipes, plan your grocery list.  I suggest purchasing only enough for 3-5 days, as you don't want produce to go bad on you.  Get your produce into the house the night before you start.

7.  If your juicer is new, wash all the parts the day before (or sooner) you begin your juice fast.

8.  Unless you are an earlybird, pre-prep your veg and fruit before bed, so you don't have to clean everything in the morning.  I have been off of work for a couple weeks but I know that when I go back, I'll have to have everything washed, trimmed and ready before bed the night before.

9.  The internet is loaded with free information.  While buying books is not necessary, I have a book that I find to be very helpful: "The Juicing Book by Stephen Blauer".  I got mine at a second-hand store years ago. 

While some of the stories may be a little dated, it is an invaluable source of information. Some examples: 

Various nutrition charts.  This is helpful  to me when selecting vegetables and fruits, so I can confirm I am diversified with my selections, based on nutrient contribution.

Yield of juice that is extracted specific to each fruit and vegetable- i.e. Kale:  1 lb kale yield 6oz juice; Celery:  1 oz juice per 2-3 stalks.  Helps with grocery planning.

Really good recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment